State Commission on Prisoners of War Hostages and Missing People returns people became prisoners of war and hostages as a result of the Armenian aggression against the Republic of Azerbaijan and develops measures for the search for missing persons and supervises their realization.
Commission coordinates the activity of the relevant state agencies, public and international organizations on the release of the prisoners of war and hostages, and search for missing persons,collects information about citizens of the Republic of Azerbaijan became prisoners of war, hostages and missing persons, and creates the relevant database for registration and systematization of this information.Commission prepares information references and proposals concerning the work with the citizens of the Republic of Azerbaijan became prisoners of war, hostages and missing,takes action for protection rights of the citizens of the Republic of Azerbaijan held in captivity.
The main duties of State Commission on Prisoners of War Hostages and Missing People
- Permanently contacts representatives of other states concerning the prisoners of war, hostages and missing persons, in case of necessity holds official meetings;
- In case of violation of provisions of the Geneva Conventions, initiates investigation within the framework of procedures set forth in these conventions;
- Cooperates on problems of the prisoners of war, hostages and missing persons with the ICRC, other international organizations engaged in humanitarian issues as well as the persons working in this field;
- Takes action for recreation and social rehabilitation of the persons released from captivity;
- Provides consider action of the letters, appeals and applications concerning prisoners of war, hostages and missing persons;
- Takes action for dissemination of juridical and historical documents reflecting the policy of genocide and ethnic purges of the Republic of Armenia against Azerbaijani people, and materials about prisoners of war, hostages and missing persons within the international community;
- Registers people taken in captivity in territory of the Republic of Azerbaijan in the course of military aggression or otherwise detained persons belonging to the opposite sides, places them on filtration facilities and provides their apprehension in accordance with requirements of the Geneva Conventions;
- The Commission acting on the principles of transparency, permanently informs the public about undertaken actions concerning prisoners of war, hostages and missing persons;
- Carries out other duties assigned on the Commission by the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan.