One of the important structural part of unit system of Ministry of Internal Affairs of Azerbaijan Republic orginizing activity of Internal Troops to protect the interest of individual,society and state, constitutional rights of citizens from criminal offences, to guard main government facilities and communication hubs, to protect public order and security measures during mass events, prevention of public riots and other duties defined by the national legislation.The Internal Troops were established in 1991 according to the Decree of the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan.Duties, responsibilities and major principles of the Internal Troops’ activities are determined by the "Law of Azerbaijan Republic on the Status of Internal Troops dated in 1994.
Duties of the Internal Troops
- to participate in the provision of security operations in urban areas and other residential places through joint patrolling with other agencies of the Internal Affairs, protection of law and order during mass events;
- security measures for the major state objects, communication plants and transportation of special consignments;
- to participate in search and apprehension of unauthorized persons intruding into safeguarded areas;
- to guard storehouses and military bases of the Logistics Department at the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Republic of Azerbaijan;
- to participate in liquidation of results of incidents, fires, natural calamities and other similar cases;
- to support in preventing of mass riots in residential areas;
- support to the MIA agencies in rescue operations, protection of property in abeyance and safeguarding law and order in cases of accidents, mishaps, fires, natural calamities and other extreme situations, as well as in the course of enforcing the state of emergency;
- to assist to prevent mass riots at the penitentiaries,
- participation in search and apprehension of fugitive convicts and detainees;
- to participate in defence of the area of Azerbaijan Republic in case of necessity.
- Any other responsibilities of the Internal Troops may be specified only by the law.The activity of the Internal Troops for military regulations, rules and military service procedures shall be provided by the military-normative acts specified for Armed Forces.Commander of the Internal Troops shall be directly subordinate to the Minister of Internal Affairs in the capacity of a Deputy Minister.