Lachin district is located to the west of Shusha district and bounds Armenia. This is one of the mountainous regions of the republic. The highest peak – mountain Gizilbogaz which is located at the altitude of 3594 above sea level. The center of the district is located at the foot of mountain chain Garadag.Lachin is a rayon of Azerbaijan. The capital is the city of Lachin. The region has been controlled by the breakway Nagorno-Karabakh Republic, as part of its Qashatagh Province, since the Nagorno-Karabakh War.Upon the capture of Lachin rayon, Armenian forces forcefully displaced its entire Azeri and Kurdish population and resettled the region with Armenian refugees from Azerbaijan, settlers from Armenia and ethnic Armenians from other countries apparently with promises of land, livestock and social benefits. The main land-link between Armenia and the Nagorno-Karabakh Republic, known as the Lachin corridor, crosses its territory. The Lachin Kurdish Republic was briefly proclaimed in 1992 during the Nagorno-Karabakh War for Kurdish inhabitants.
It was originally known as Abdalyar or Abdallyar (after the Turkic Abdal tribe). It was granted town status in 1923 and renamed Lachin (a Turkic first name meaning falcon) in 1926.On May 15, 1992, during the Nagorno-Karabakh War, the Nagorno-Karabakh Defense Army took control of the first land-corridor to Armenia. Previously, on May 13, 1992 Turkey threatened Armenia that, "It would intervene militarily if Shusha and Lachin were not restored to Azerbaijan". Russia responded by signing a military agreement with Armenia, pledging military aid if its security was threatened. On May 20, 1992, Turkey reassured Russia that it would not intervene militarily. Thus, after three years of blockade, a land bridge linking the Republic of Armenia with the territory of Nagorno Karabakh was established. In the fall of 1992, Azerbaijani forces tried to regain control over Lachin, but were repulsed. All of Lachin's Azerbaijani and Kurdish population fled as a result of the fall of the region to Armenian armed forces.