Established in Azerbaijan in 2008, Gilan Beltmann Piano continues the legacy of the Beltmann Piano Company, founded by Johan Beltmann in Holland in 1901. Beltmann Piano has been run by three generations of the Beltmann family, with production now overseen by Johan Beltmann's great-grandson, Hans Leferink.Since 2008, the company has implemented a training and development programme to take on apprentices to learn the Beltmann method of hand production. The Beltmann method involves traditional crafting techniques to bring the 14,000 parts found in a piano together. This process is achieved using the secret Beltmann design and sauna finishing system, which enables a piano to be completed within 60 days. Gilan Beltmann Piano is the only piano manufacturer to use this system.
The company employees a rigorous selection process in its materials procurement procedure. Wood is acquired from sustainable sources from villages in Germany, Czech Republic and Austria, as the climate ensures a consistency in the quality of trees. The piano strings and hammers are hand-crafted onsite, and natural, non-toxic products are used in the finishing process, with polyester being barred from any part of the production process.The Gilan Beltmann Piano facility also includes a 330-person capacity concert hall, with plans to establish a piano academy to teach and develop the practice in the country.Gilan Beltmann Piano has a showroom in Germany, with branches in Moscow, Russia, and Baku, Azerbaijan, opening soon.
Founded by Johan Beltmann (1879-1964) in 1901 in Deventer, Holland. Production and restoration of uprights and grand pianos began.In 1918, Boele Jan Beltmann (1901-1990) started to work in his father's factory.By 1922, 120 instruments were being produced a year by 21 employees.Between 1939-1949 production stopped due to the outbreak of World War II; during these hard times the factory only serviced and restored pianos.In 1949 Beltmann pianos commenced production again; by 1950 production reached 190 instruments a year with 32 employees.During the following 20 years, half of the workforce focused on restoration with the other half focusing on piano production. In 1967, the grandson of Boele Jan Beltmann, Hans Leferink started to work for the company. Mr. Leferink took over, and moved the factory to the south of Germany in 1983, where he merged the Berdux and Beltmann factories.
After 1983 this factory produced more than 10,000 instruments. Production ceased in 2002.Later the same year (2002), Hans Leferink was invited to work for a German piano factory as Designer/Chief-technician and foreign expert. He stayed with the company until 2008
In February 2008, Hans started to design a new piano factory. In October the same year construction of the Gilan Baltmann Piano factory begins in Gabala, Azerbaijan.In September 2009, production commenced with three upright models and one grand piano