Baku Polytechnic Institute was founded in 1920. This teaching center became Azerbaijan Polytechnic Institute from 1923 to 1930, Azerbaijan Petroleum Institute from 1930 to1934, Azerbaijan Industrial Institute from 1934 to 1939, Azerbaijan Oil and Chemistry Institute from 1959 to 1991, Azerbaijan Industrial University from 1991 to 1992, and Azerbaijan State Oil Academy from 1992 to present. Under these names, the teaching center has trained high skilled engineers and scientific-pedagogical specialists for the gas oil and other fields.
From 1920 to 1921, there were 1,135 students at the Institute. In the same year, there were 62 highly educated Azerbaijanis, 12 engineers among them. In 1922, the structure of the Institute formed according to “Agriculture,” “Economics,” “Technology,” (electrotechnics, oil-mining and oil technology departments) and Engineering-construction (roads, hydrotechnics and civil engineering specialists) faculties. The first graduation from the Institute was in 1923 and consisted of 3 men.In 1923, the Institute was named Azerbaijan Polytechnic Institute after M. Azizbeyov. In the 1924 to 1925 academic year, 13 men earned a diploma of engineering at the Institute. In the 1925 to 1926 academic year, there were 46 engineering graduates, and in the 1926 to 1927 academic year, there were 289 engineering graduates.
On the 29th of May, 1930, the name of the high school was changed, and it was named Azerbaijan Oil Institute. There were some changes in the context of the faculties connected with change of the Institute’s name. The faculty “Water Economy” was included in the newly formed Transcaucasia cotton Institute. Since that time, 80% of the graduates from the Azerbaijan Oil Institute have been sent to industrial enterprises. The first and main faculty of the institute, “Oil Production,” prepared specialists, mechanics, chemists, hydrotechnicians, electricians, civil engineers, construction workers, and even foresters who were leaders in the oil fields.