National Aerospace Agency (NASA) started operation within the structure of the Academy of Sciences of Azerbaijan from 1974 as a Scientific Centre “Caspiy” and in 1981 on its base was set up a Scientific-Industrial Association of Space Research. By the Order of the President of Azerbaijan Republic from February 21, 1992 No 580 on its base was established the Azerbaijan National Aerospace Agency (ANASA, later NASA). From September 2006 by the Order of the President of Azerbaijan Republic NASA is operating under subordination of the Ministry of Defenсe Industry of the Azerbaijan Republic.
Key activities of the Azerbaijan National Aerospace Agency
- Implementation of the State policy in the sphere of space study and space research of natural resources.
- Elaboration & implementation of national aerospace programmes.
- Co-ordination of work & participation in realization of international space projects.
- Application of achievements in the space technology to meet the needs of the economics & to ensure security of the Azerbaijan Republic.
Basic scientific achievements of ANASA
- Development of the program-algorithmic package for the subject processing and interpretation of aerospace information
- Classification of soil-plant and other natural objects of the Azerbaijan Republic on the base of the remote sensing data & GIS-technologies
- Establishment of the ground & remote data base for ecological monitoring of the Azerbaijan Republic
- Development of the technical system package to study spectrometric, meteorological & radiation characteristics of various natural territorial and industrial objects.
Structural units of the Aerospace agency
- Institute for Space Research of Natural Resources
- Research Institute of Aerospace Information
- Institute of Ecology
- Space Instrument Engineering Experimental Plant
- Special Design Bureau of Instrument Engineering
- Special Design -Technological Bureau (Lenkoran city)